Attributes of a successful self-learner:
Since the adjective we are using for self-learners here is ‘successful’ an immediate point of reference should be Stephen R. Covey covered and his book, The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People.
The first three habits are about the transition from dependence to independence (i.e., self-mastery):
1 – Be proactive.
2 – Begin with the end in mind
3 – First things first
The next three habits are about interdependence(e.g., working with others):
4 – Think win-win
5 – Seek first to understand, then to be understood
The final habit is that of continuous improvement and adequate preparation
7 – Sharpen the Saw; Growth
Some of the biggest traps for an individual learner that prevents them from self directed learning are:
- They wait for things to happen, someone to come and provide training, give them a project or assign a mentor
- They believe it’s someone else’s responsibility to enable learning for them at their job
- Approach learning with the mindset of “only to get ahead”. Such people deal with constant anxiety on “how to catch up” and they never truly learn
- Lack confidence to get out of their comfort zone. They develop their own wall of constraints in mind that holds them back
- Fear choices due to profusion of content. Such people get stuck at “where to start”
- Self justifying excuses around lack of time to learn anything new by keeping too busy
Many people wait for something to happen or someone to take care of them. But people who end up with the good jobs are the proactive ones who are solutions to problems, not problems themselves, who seize the initiative to do what is necessary, consistent with correct principles, to get the job done
These barriers created by the individual in their own mind leads to rational lies to self and a self-fulfilling prophecy around lack of learning in their current environment and work.
It is not enough to learn, but as Alvin Toffler had said, one has to be able to learn, unlearn and re-learn, all of which become elements of successful self-learning.
And this is a link to a blog from Brian Tracy, a great motivator and coach : https://www.briantracy.com/blog/personal-success/seven-good-habits-of-highly-successful-people-goal-oriented/
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. – Albert Einstein
I stay with a problem longer……
आचार्यात् पादमादत्ते पादं शिष्यः स्वमेधया ।
सब्रह्मचारिभ्यः पादं पादं कालक्रमेण च ॥