Innovations in Teaching:
Later in the day today, I am speaking at an FDP for Central University Jammu on the above theme.
In order to share those ideas more widely, I am sharing here the main points, I will be making in my talk at the event.
The driver of educational innovations in India is mainly to address the following challenges:
- The challenge of numbers
- The challenge of access
- The challenge of relevance
- The challenge of costs
The specific innovation that I have cited, at the end of this piece, helps in meeting all the above 4 challenges.
Newton had once remarked “ If I have seen further, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants”.
There are a few thought leaders on innovation… and their ideas can be applied to education:
1: Everett Rogers on the diffusion of innovation. Link to Wikipedia article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations
2: Blue Ocean Strategy by W Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne of INSEAD : link to Wikipedia article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ocean_Strategy
3: Clayton Christensen: Disrupting Class : link to Wikipedia article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_innovation
4: UKOU annual reports on Innovations in education. This series of reports explores new forms of teaching, learning and assessment for an interactive world to guide teachers and policy makers in productive innovation. This ninth
report proposes ten innovations that are already in currency but have not yet had a widespread influence on education. Innovative pedagogy 2021: https://iet.open.ac.uk/file/innovating-pedagogy-2021.pdf
Examples of educational innovation:
1: Duolingo, the free language learning App: http://www.duolingo.com
2: Learning 321: a free WhatsApp based learning community. Use this link to join: https://chat.whatsapp.com/DPcJtBi0JNs9NEnKBCKUN5
3: Future readiness, fee-based courses delivered through WhatsApp: http://www.mmpant.com
Riding on the shoulders of these, I am pursuing the following innovation in education:
- The mobile as the access device. Best practices in mobile learning : https://en.unesco.org/news/best-practices-mobile-learning-7-innovative-case-studies
- WhatsApp as the communication tool: synchronous as well as a-synchronous communication and group communication as well as individual personalised communication.
- Media used : text, images, audio, video… content curated and created to form an effective narration.
- Themes : Learning to self-learn: https://mmpant.com/l2sl/ ; Making Sense of Artificial Intelligence: https://mmpant.com/msai/ ; Success Skills 321: https://mmpant.com/ss321/ ; The hundred year life: https://mmpant.com/thyl/ ; SmartEducators: https://mmpant.com/smarteducators/ and Quantum Readiness: https://mmpant.com/qr/