The fifth education revolution : education 5.0
Anthony Seldon in his book “ The fourth Education Revolution” says that only three education revolutions can be said to have occurred in the last 3 to 5 million years. Schools and Universities today would be recognised today by our forefathers as far back as the year 1600.
Most of this will change with the 4th education revolution that is taking shape. Education 4.0 harnesses the latest digital technologies ( Blockchain, AR, VR, MR, AI and Machine Learning etc.) and pedagogical research ( NeuroScience, Cognitive Science to enhance teaching learning and assessment.
The SDGs were set up in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and are intended to be achieved by 2030. Goal 4 about education is to “Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all”. The slow progress in achieving SDG Goal 4 so far is reminiscent of another important target, about 140 years back.
The U.S. Constitution required that a population count be conducted at the beginning of every decade. This has been happening since the year 1790. As the country grew, each new census required greater effort than the last, not merely in collecting the data but also to compile it into usable form. For the processing of the 1880 data, it was realised that it was nowhere near completion until 1888. It was then that a new technology of Hollerith punched card was introduced and the count then proceeded so rapidly that the work was completed very soon. This later evolved into the famous IBM company. IBM led the way in perfecting card technology for recording and tabulating large sets of data for a variety of purposes.
The fifth education revolution will be driven by the desire to achieve SDG Goal4 by its planned target date.
Five features of education 5.0:
- Shift of focus from teaching ( by educators in an authority driven and regulated educational system, directed by mandatory educational policies) to learning by interested and motivated learners who seek experiences and opportunities for lifelong learning.
- Such experiences and opportunities will be most readily available in the Metaverse.
- Shift from certificates that depend on performance in monolithic exams like board exams to an on demand demonstrations of cognitive and other intellectual abilities of a parson, at anytime.
- Accelerated Learning: to catch up with the rapid growth and expansion of the frontiers of knowledge. This will facilitate the rapid development of a Quantum Ready workforce.
- The movement towards the fifth education revolution would be driven by the Science of Learning, perhaps the youngest Science, based on advances in Neuroscience and a better understanding of Artificial General Intelligence.
Towards being ready for education 5.0, I have created a suite of courses that can be accessed with a mobile phone on WhatsApp, whose details are given at mmpant.com